Get Tools and Information in our Coronavirus Webportal>>
The South Africa Cold Store Operations Short Course is hosted by GCCA and its core partner, the International Association of Refrigerated Warehouses. T he Short Course is an industry-specific program for professionals engaged in temperature-controlled logistics and will feature modules taught by leading experts in the industry. It will provide an opportunity for warehouse managers, controllers and supervisors to be trained on local and international best practices in cold store operations.
This course is open to all cold storage operators including: 3PLs, distributors, producers, suppliers and retailers.
The course will be held virtually on 24, 25 and 26 August, from 14:00-17:00 SAST each day.
The objectives for each module are :
- Cold Store Operations: Explain the process for receiving product into the warehouse, analyse factors that influence product staging and storage, explain the process for shipping product out of the warehouse and list considerations for successful blast freezing.
- Food Handling and Temperature Management: Determine several goals of product preservation techniques and observe the PPP factors affecting the quality of perishable foods.
- Food Safety – HACCP: Define critical control point and list five examples of CCPs in a refrigerated warehouse environment and generate a formal list of standard operating procedures to incorporate into a warehouse sanitation program.
- Energy Management: Compute the electrical consumption costs of individual electrical components, describe potential effects on their operations when power demand is high and evaluate methods for minimizing power costs.
- Innovations & Best Practices in Cold Storage Technology: Review current trends in warehouse technology, identify innovations that can help solve problems in the warehouses, discuss the benefits and trade-offs of specific technologies.
- Regulatory Procedures: Acquire information regarding regulations that impact cold storage and agriculture and identify practices in the organizations that may not be in compliance with existing regulations.
- Promoting a Culture of Safety: Define your role as a safety leader, learn how to provide safety feedback and enforce it with supportive behavior and define techniques for value-added safety training.
- Customer Service: Define the relationship between customer satisfaction and business growth, select appropriate key performance indicators to measure customer satisfaction and explain customer expectation categories.
The instructors for each module are :
- Cold Store Operations: Brian Beazer, CEO of WCS Logistics & WFLO, Chairman, United States
- Food Handling & Temperature Management: Professor Michael Jahncke, Chairman of the GCCA Scientific Advisory Council, United States
- Food Safety – HACCP: Verona Ramsook, Group Food Safety Manager of Etlin International, South Africa
- Energy Management: Mesuli Mdluli, Maintenance Manager at CCS Logistics, South Africa
- Innovations & Best Practices in Cold Storage Technology: Don Schoenl, President of Agile Cold Storage, United States
- Regulatory Procedures: Colin Barker, Compliance Manager at Table Bay Cold Storage, South Africa
- Customer Service: Paul Gibbons, Customer Director of Vector Logistics, South Africa
Registration Fees :
- GCCA Member Operators: US$125 per participant
- Cold Store Operators Non-Members: US$225 per participant